Want to make a grilled sandwich with perfectly melted cheese, crispy and toasty on the outside? Here are some tips from the Super Valu kitchen
- Choose fresh bread that is wide and medium sliced
- One side use shredded cheese like a marble mix
- Slice vegetables thin– here we use salt and peppered tomato, onions and a bit of spinach
- On the other side, under the veggies is more cheese but not just any kind of cheese – raclette cheese – because it was made to melt gooey and is delicious
- Use butter or light mayo on the outsides of the sandwich before pan frying to golden perfection. Make sure the pan is nice and medium hot to avoid burning
- Cut into half or 4 squares for perfect dipping in your favorite soup
Trying to cut the carbs out of your salads. Love croutons? Here are 2 great healthy alternatives that also taste great and let you keep the crunch in your salads. The crackers crumbled up offer spicy kick and the sprinkles are a great source of essential nutrients your body needs including flu fighting foods like garlic.
The crackers are in store now and we are trying to get the line of natural food energy mix from www.raenergeryfoods.com
Perfect for the winter season – this recipe has a perfect blend of garlic, ginger and spices to keep the immune system strong
- boil 3 cups of pasta as per instructions on product label
- chop/cube 1 onion, 4 cloves of garlic, finger of ginger, 2 green and 2 red peppers. Can add other veggies as desired
- mix vegetables together for 15-20 minutes until medium soft
- in larger pot – add 1 jar of your favourite pasta sauce (we used tomatoes and pesto)
- 1 large spoon of pesto
- 2 large spoons of butter chicken paste (spicy)
- add half cup of cream
- mix well and simmer for 10 minutes
- mix veggies into sauce and let sit for 5 minutes, add cooked pasta.
- put the entire mixture into a baking dish
- add cheese to the top – thinly slices or shredded (cheddar or marble)
- 425 for 15-20 minutes to bake until cheese is browned
- Let sit 10 minutes and serve with salad and garlic bread
- add chicken or turkey as needed for a non veg option.
*see picture above for types of products used in this recipe from Super Valu.
*serves 4 to 6
A month of holiday parties, meals and eating to celebrate the Christmas season is upon us.
Finger foods, cookies, creamy dips to desserts – the next event could sure use a change of pace. How does something crispy and refreshing sound?
Inspired by Christmas colors – the pomegranate kale salad delivers a guilt free dose of deliciousness.
- 2 handfuls of kale. Washed and chopped
- half a pomegranate
- quarter lemon squeezed
- Caesar salad dressing (to taste)
- Chicken breast (optional)
- Almonds (optional and to taste)
- Parmesan cheese grated to fine
- Garlic croutons (optional)
- Serves 1 meal or 2 sides
Need ingredients now? Remember Super Valu is open 24/7 at the corner of 1st Avenue & Commercial Drive in Vancouver.